I have had a really hard time trying to decide what I want to write about today but I finally decided to write about my favorite TV show, Strange Foods. For those of you who have never seen this show you really need to go online and watch it or catch it on the Travel Channel because its great, its kind of changed my life. Its about a man named Adam Zimern who travels the world eating the craziest sometimes most disgusting foods you could think of.
Now for some of you that have known me for a long time know that growing up I was really picky when it came to food and that stuck with me for most of my life until I went on my mission and I was forced to eat my least favorite food in the world every single day, beans. Well after my mission I stuck with the same old food and then I started watching Strange Foods and things started changing. I had a talk with my good buddy Dave and I told him that I wanted to start eating at places that I had never eaten at before. Most of the time we went to horrible restaurants but there where a few times when we ate some great things.
I made it a goal of mine to eat things and animals that I had never eaten before. So the challenge was on! I asked a friend of mine to bring me some duck and goose back after he went hunting and he did and it was great. My friend Erin's dad went Pheasant hunting and he brought me back a pheasant and I made my whole family eat it and everyone like it. Katie's family had been feeding me elk and venison for months without me even knowing so I marked those off of my list. And thats just a small list of the things that I have been eating over the last year or so.
But the of highlight of this whole thing came just last week when I ate a tongue taco! It was great. I was in Ogden looking for a job and I got hungry like growing boys like me do and I stopped at a mexican restaurant that are so previlent in Ogden and I ordered 2 carnita tacos. I waited there for a while and I started to read the menu that was written on a piece of white paper that was taped to the wall next to the cash register. It was in spanish so I started to translate the menu in my head and I read the word lengua and I thought "Huh I wonder if that is what I think it is" because in Portugese the word for tongue is lingua and thats really really close to lengua. So I asked the nice lady there if it was in fact tongue and she said yes so I ordered one. And I am here to tell you that I was fantastic. They cooked it in this great sauce and it was tender and it was great. If I wouldn't have ordered it myself I wouldn't have know that is was tongue.
The search still continues! I am always looking for something that I haven't eaten before. My next goal is moose so if there is anyone out there that knows where I can get some moose let me know ok!
6 comments:
Ok that picture totally grosses me out. There's a reason I'm not in dental school. But good for you for branching out and extending your pallet!
I had to hold my hand over the picture while I read your blog. Gross! But I'm excited to you! Except Tongue Taco stains don't come out of your good shirts!
I think you can get a moose-burger in West Yellowstone or Jackson....
That picture totally grossed me out, too. But I am proud of you for branching out. I ate tongue once and it was about the grossest thing I've ever eaten. My rule is never taste something that could taste you back.
He he....ya when I lived in Mexico I was pretty scared of some of the things they put in tacos; brains, pig feet, intestines....its pretty wierd. I think the bravest I ever got was chicharones, which is pig skin. By the way...happy to find your Blog, I found it from a link on Zacks (which I also just found...WOW its a whole wide blog world out there just waiting for me to discover!) ;)
Time for a new post.....seriously. That tongue is nasty!
Post a Comment