Monday, October 6, 2008

Country Music

OK so here it is. Don't hate me everyone. I'm starting to like country music....I know...I know...its horrible. I have betrayed most of you and I know that I will be shunned from most of you. But we all knew that one day it was going to happen.

Every girl that I have like more than just a small crush from across the room has liked country. I remember going onto CMT when I was in High School just to learn what music was playing so I knew some music to talk about with a cute girl in my Human Geography class.

One reason I hated country music is that all they seemed to sing about was sex, alcohol and Jesus. Now normally one of those topics wouldn't bother me but when all three are in the same song it kind of bothers me. I remember hearing stories about country stars, that had a very clean image, snorting coke in between radio interviews and of their drunk driving charges while they where on their way to record their new hit "Jesus: My Drug".

I'm not here to tell you that rock music is without its flaws. Its heavily produced and the artists are deplorable people but that's they thing. We all know that. We're not surprised when the Police bust a group for drugs or when one gets pulled over smelling like a bar and the bar's bathroom. I just expected more from a country artist.

I don't know. I just thought it a very fake music. I mean what business does a country song have using an electrical guitar? I don't know. I kind of thought that was the point of country music. To hear a good old boy play the acoustic guitar right before kissing his sister. But really you hear songs written by good old boys but are sung by people that grew up in big cities and had never even seen a horse until their record went platinum and could afford to buy one.

But like I said, I was bound to fall in love with the repetitive harmonies and lyrics of country music. Every girl I've ever like has loved the stuff. I have over the years been able to find gems in the garbage that I thought country music was. I've found very funny lyrics, I've found good messages by people who live them, I've found moving melodies and tunes that I hum without even realizing it. I've started to seak out songs on YouTube or on the radio just so I can re hear a line that I have inevitably miss heared.

I have now fallen in love with music. Or rather I have fallen in love with listening to country music with Katie. It makes me think of some great times. Long drives with a beautiful girl next to me, stolen kisses, long talks about the future together and a myriad of other things. So maybe its more accurate to say that I have fallen in love with an amazing woman that loves country music and because of that I have also learned to love it. Thank you Katie. I've missed out on a lot of beautiful music and I'm very excited for the years to come, filled with twang and mandalins.

4 comments:

Bobbi Lee said...

Well that was the darn sweetest thing I've heard all day. Made me think of those famous lyrics by Tim McGraw "Take the very breath you gave me. Take the heart from my chest. I'll gladly take her place if you'll let me. Make this my last request. Take me out of this world. God, please don't take the girl." Katie's a very lucky girl...

Jill said...

Wow. Your last paragraph sounded like a country song. You are hooked!

Erin said...

You have gone over the dark side by enjoying country. I like about an inch of country but I think you have been brainwashed. However, this was a lovely thing to say for you and Katie. Stupid people in love.

Katie Call said...

I wasn't quite sure where you were going in the first couple paragraphs. I thought I would have to pound you the next time I saw you. But then you remeeded yourself in the last paragraph. You really really really redeemed yourself! I'll see you soon.