Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Last Egg


I like Woody Allen. I like him for many reasons. Like that Annie Hall film he did. That was pretty good.  Or his cute little Jewish face. Is that raciest? But what I love about him is his silly wit. That guy gets me! So of course it makes sense that one of my favorite quotes of all times is from this quirky little man. He said,"Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons."  Ha!

December proved to be a hard month for David and I. We were to the end of our loan money for the semester and my hours at work were getting cut. To go into all the details would require  several paragraphs and a Sarah Mclachlan song playing in the background so I'll just fast forward to one evening the second week of December.

David was smack in the middle of finals and was putting in a lot of hours at the library. Which actually worked out great for me. You see, the school would hold meetings or seminars and put out food for the attendees. David would simply just "help himself" to the food and have supper at school. We figured that somewhere in the $35,000 tuition the school budgeted for hungry, sleep deprived students to "help themselves" to food that isn't being guarded. One problem solved. 
So with D taken care of, I would usually end up eating a can of tuna or a Kim chi or a hot dog I found in the back of the freezer. You know...Protein! But one day close to the end of finals I opened the fridge and found these 5 things: A stick of butter, soy sauce, Greek Yogurt, a jar of caramel topping, and an egg. Little did I know that that one egg would be the subject to one of the most intense conversations D and I will ever have. 

Later that night when D got home from studying and I had cleaned up from my supper of yummy yogurt, I mentioned that for breakfast the day after tomorrow (I had been making him breakfast the mornings he had finals) we would be using our last egg. I will always remember how he sighed and his shoulders slumped a little further from the heavy burden of what I was saying. It just broke my heart. But again...details...Sarah Mclachlan....fast-forward! I then remembered that earlier when looking in the cupboard I saw a mix for brownies. Brownies!! Without thinking I excitingly told David about my discovery! Brownies would make everything happy again! I quickly grabbed the mix and read over the ingredients....water, vegetable oil, and one egg. The last egg. 
And there we stood in our kitchen contemplating, reasoning and giving arguments of what we should do with our last egg. David wanted me to make brownies saying that he didn't need a breakfast that morning and how fun it would be to have a treat together. And I argued that he needed to eat before his test so he could do well and graduate and get a good job so we can buy more eggs. We talked about the fate of this eggs for over an hour and towards the end we often had to stop to catch our breath because our laughter was just too much! Could an egg really be this serious?!
 That Mr. Woody Allen sure know what he was talking about. If we had had two pennies to rub together (rather if we had 2 dollars and some change) we could have bought another dozen eggs and I wouldn't have been blessed with this sweet memory that I will cherish for the rest of my life. "Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." and to that I will add that "Love is better than money, if only for the last egg."

P.S. Don't worry mama....I have a full dozen eggs in the fridge right now.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Ah,I remember that last egg debacle! I can totally see you and David cracking up over a discussion about the egg. It was so much fun to hear you two laughing when you visited!

Anonymous said...

Katie, Katie. Love the story. It is what movies are made of. . . possibly years down the road with a Sarah McLachlan soundtrack!
The Egg and I. I can see it now.

Mom
p.s. So glad you are our daughter, and so glad you have a dozen eggs in your refrigerator.