Monday, August 27, 2012

Wait...what?

So we are here! I know I have been sloooow to update the blog and I apologize for that. I have been looking for our camera to take pictures of the house and I finally found it. But then I couldn't find the cable to download the pictures to the computer. But atlas! I found them in a box!

Here is what we have been up to since arriving in Oregon!

Unpacking Boxes

We are slowly getting settled into our house. It's quite smaller than we were expecting but luckily there is a garage that I have put the boxes that are waiting to be unpacked. The house has 2 “bedrooms” but in reality it has a back room that has a door that leads outside and another room that fits only a bed. We chose the “bed only” room as our bedroom and turned the other one into the living room.
Upon our arrival we discovered that the walls were not the color that were photographed in the pictures we saw. Instead they are a lovely color of blue. A lovely color that I am not a fan. Also, for some crazy reason every picture I hang falls within 24 hours; therefore, I have very plain blue walls with all my decorations leaning up against said walls. (Perhaps this is why I haven't hurried to find my camera to take pictures!) I promise to get some pictures of the house soon!

Exploring Willamette University

Willamette University is really a beautiful campus. It was opened in 1842 and was the first university in the West. The buildings are really quaint and have such character. In the Spring, the flowers bloom and are just gorgeous. David doesn't get out of the Law Building much but does occasionally venture to other buildings to look for food.


The landscape is really impressive.

This is the law building where David lives.
The law student on his first day! He went through a 3 day orientation prior to starting class.

Going to the Coast!

The Monday before school started we woke up and decided we wanted to go the coast that day. So we did. We drove to Tillamook and visited the cheese factory. We enjoyed some ice cream after the tour. 
Our ice cream at Tillamook. I got pumpkin and David got chocolate. 
 
Then we went to Cape Mears to visit a lighthouse. Has we were driving, the climate was quickly changing and we found ourselves in a thick fog. We got to the lighthouse and climbed out of the car into a cold, blowing mist! I had brought my jacket and was wearing a sweater but my dear, sweet hubby was wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and didn't bring a jacket (I mean, we were going to the ocean right? It's suppose to be warm!) I lent David my jacket that was 4 sizes too small and we walked to the Lighthouse. Every time I looked at David I would start laughing uncontrollably at the sight of him in my jacket. I was so busy laughing that I didn't even take a picture of the lighthouse! Don't worry. I'm sure we will visit others. I'll be sure to get those.
David wearing my jacket.

This is one of the trails leading to the lighthouse. I was half expecting a vampire or a werewolf to emerge. But non did.
The mist!
We stayed at the lighthouse for a bit but certain people were getting cold so we got back into the car again and headed south to Cape Lookout.
By this time is was lunch time so we found a table and pulled out our peanut butter and jam sandwiches. Here's the view from our picnic table.


 


After lunch we walked on the beach for a bit. By this time it was warmer and so David didn't need to wear my jacket. We had just miss the high tide so there were a lot of sand dollars but unfortunately they were all broken from the birds. We were on the very edge of the beach next to some really breathtaking cliffs and all of a sudden we heard an air horn siren. We looked back from where we came and no body seemed to be caring about the siren so we weren't really concerned. About 5 minutes we heard it again so we got a little nervous thinking it was a tsunami warning or something so we started to walk back. When we got to the car, we heard the siren again and we turned towards the noise and do you know what we saw? A truck vacuuming out the yuck of a porta-potty! That's right, the vacuum of the truck sounded like a siren enough so that David and I were actually worried about a tsunami. Can I tell you how foolish we felt after that?! I'm just glad we didn't start running like chicken little screaming about a tsunami. Could you imagine the wave of panic we could have started?!

Getting Acquainted to the ward

We have an intriguing ward. We spoke in church last Sunday. As we were leaving the stand, a older woman came up to us and said, “Hello. Those were....interesting talks.” And then she just turned around and left. David and I looked at each other and said, “Thanks?”
But there are plenty of really great people! We were invited over to a really great couples home for supper and they made us feel very welcome so that was great!

NetFlix and Pinterest.

I drop David off at the Library between 7 and 7:30 a.m and I don't see him again until between 8 or 9 p.m. He is working so hard. We quickly discovered that when he gets home he needs to “check-out” for a bit. So we have taken up watching a Netflix and just sitting on the couch together. It might be our new hobby.
I am still looking for jobs. I have been applying for about 2 to 5 a week. The other day I was telling David that I was getting tired of waiting and I wished I would just hear from someone! The next day I received 2 rejection letters. I should be careful what I wish for! I have found that looking for jobs more than 5 hours each day has taken a toll on my brain and confidence. So I have been looking at a lot of Pinterest.

This is pretty much our life. I will try to be better about updating! And I will get some pictures of the house. Have a nice day!

2 comments:

Jill said...

THANK YOU for the updating! We loved the pictures. Amelia agreed David looked silly in your jacket, and I loved the picture of the path to the lighthouse!! I may have you send it to me so I can frame it. Can't wait to visit you in 9 months! Miss you!

David said...

Man I love that our blog is back up. It was fun to read about all the cool stuff we do! OH and I really do live in the law building and only venture out in search of food.